Using technology to better fight the war on diabetes and for better disease control was the theme of Minister Gan Kim Yong’s speech at the 8th National Health IT Summit on 20 May at the Singapore Expo.
This year’s theme for the summit was “Beyond Acute Care” which focussed on strategies and tools to extend healthcare resources beyond the traditional provider-centric, acute care setting. Over 400 public healthcare policy makers, leaders and IT professionals attended the summit.
In his speech, Minister Gan said, “We need to provide our population with the tools to take charge of their health and make healthier choices for themselves and their families. Technology has already begun to offer us some promising solutions.”
He added that HealthHub which was launched last October will be further enhanced and “will engage the citizens deeper through personalised content, to help them better manage their health, and to enhance their overall experience in navigating the healthcare system. It will empower Singaporeans to take greater ownership of their health and wellness.” These new features are expected to be rolled out in phases over the next 12 to 18 months.
Minister Gan also presented 14 awards (on the right) to the healthcare institutions for their IT innovations. For the first time, the private healthcare institutions included in the award for their work in health IT.
IT Excellence in Increasing Access to Care
IT Excellence in Delivery of Affordable Care
- National Heart Centre, IHiS (One Queue, One Payment)
- National Healthcare Group Polyclinics (Online Appointment System)
- SingHealth (Improving Access to Appointments)
IT Excellence in Providing Quality of Care
- MOH (Eligibility Checks for MediShield Life Premium Subsidies)
Champion for Health IT Excellence
- AIC, IHiS, NHG Eye Institute, Singapore National Eye Centre (Singapore Integrated Diabetic Retinopathy Programme)
- TTSH (Emergency Department Decision Support System)
- KKH, IHiS (TrustedCare: Process Redesign for Elective Caesarean Section)
- NUH, IHiS (Specialist Results System)
IT Excellence in Digitised Care to Achieve One Healthcare System
- Dr Joseph Manuel Gomez (KKH)
- Mr Wu Tuck Seng (NUH)
- Mr Yap Soon Ghee (SGH)
- Ang Mo Kio - Thye Hua Kwan Hospital, Bright Vision Hospital, Ren Ci Hospital, St Andrew’s Community Hospital, St Luke’s Hospital, IHiS, MOH Holdings (Community Hospitals Vertical Integration - Electronic Medical Records Implementation)
- Northeast Medical Group (Heracles Clinic Management System)
- St. Andrew’s Nursing Home (St. Andrew’s Nursing Home System)